Thursday, July 11, 2013

Throwback Thursday-Visualization





Today in Throwback Thursday, linking up with The First Grade Parade,  I am  reintroducing a wonderful book I found that would be great for Visualization.  The kids loved it and it worked perfectly.  So take a look and see what you think.  There is a freebie involved as well!!

Whaaaattt, wait a minute, I used to want to be a dental hygienist, but not if they are letting sharks in the chair.  Have you ever read this book?


It is super duper cute and hilarious.  I happened upon it as I was reading to Super G one night and my teacher brain took over.  We laughed as we looked through the pictures and imagined "watching a movie with a giraffe" and "sitting next to a porcupine on the subway."  I couldn't stop thinking about using this for visualization.  Since we are in between writing projects and guided reading novels... I thought this would be a perfect, little activity.  Boy, did they have a blast with it!

First, we went over visualization and the importance of using mental images as we read.  We made this fun anchor chart as I introduced the book.

Then, I read the story to them, without showing the pictures. I made them VISUALIZE what it would actually look like "if you invited ants to your picnic."  We laughed and laughed.  Then I reread them the story and showed them the pictures.  Every page, I got an OHHHH, OHHHH, WOW!

Each student chose an animal and completed a web about the animal's characteristics.  Next, I had them list what they would NOT do with their animal.


Finally they came up with a "never."  It was super cute and they loved it.  Everyone got a good chuckle as we shared aloud.  Click here to get a copy of the worksheets I used.  Enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment