Thursday, July 25, 2013

Workout Essentials for Yoga

Namaste Yall!

I'm back with another workout post.  This time it is for my fellow Yogis!


My yoga journey started last Fall when I was sick of running and felt like my body was getting really banged up.  I had always cross trained with Yoga and Barre classes, but was never really "into it".  My friend Katherine told me I had to try Ashtanga and since I have no shame, I went with her.  She did fancy headstands whilst looking like Gumby and I cried/begged/awkwardly made it through my first class.  I kept going and after a month my (now favorite) teacher told me that she wished she could spray some WD40 into my joints because I had "potential".  I really did look like a washed up runner that couldn't touch her toes, but I was slowly making progress.  So I stuck with it even when I looked this:



Most studios or gyms will have the basic essentials already there for you.  You need a mat, a block, and a strap....that's it, pretty simple.  However, I'm here to tell you the basics of yoga clothing.  You see....I hit {yoga fashion} rock bottom a few months in. We simply had to turn around and face away from the mirror.  I was finally aware of what was going on around me and I snuck a peek into the mirror and saw something frightening.  Let's just say there is a reason that we shouldn't be wearing our Nike jog shorts to yoga.

Here are my top three items for Yoga:

1.  Victoria's Secret VSX Angel Sports Bra.  I'm not going to put a picture because that's kinda weird on a teaching blog, but click {HERE} to see one.  Trust me....if your lady lumps need a little, ahem, lifting (or enhancing) try this bra out.  I pinky promise you won't be sorry.  I own 4 of them and I refuse to wear anything else to the gym (unless I need to do laundry).  ;)

2.  My fave pants are a tie.  I love my new Victoria's Secret VSX Knockout Capris, but I'm also partial to my LuLulemon Wunder Under Crops.  Click {HERE} and {HERE} to check them out!  They offer a little nip and a little tuck in all the right places!

3.  Ok, so my third must have is not anything you can wear.  However, it is my latest obsession.  My ultra fab NYC besties have always sworn by this detox bath using Epsom Salts and Ginger.  Unfortunately, I spent the better part of my twenties and early thirties living in apartments that could have been featured on Fear Factor and would have rather died than take a bath in those tubs.


Luckily, I'm in a much nicer place now and decided to test out their little secret.  Ohmyword, yall!  This is a HOT, HOT, HOT bath that will make you sweat out all the chips and queso toxins.  Twenty minutes with Epsom Salt and then another twenty minutes with grated Ginger, and you are literally 5 pounds lighter.  This bath is not for the weary, you are going to sweat more than you ever have in your life.  Trust.  Bring water.  Anyone who does carpool duty in 95 degree weather in downtown Charleston (on the regular) knows a thing or two about sweating.  This bath is for real.  Click {HERE} or {HERE} to read more about it.  Apparently, all the celebs do it too...read {HERE}.

I'd love to hear what your Yoga must-haves are!  Let us know and we will be back to regularly scheduled programming tomorrow.




5 comments: